Every time I make a recipe for this blog, I think, this is it. This is my favorite recipe I’ve made! I am so excited, everyone is going to love it! But this time you guys, this time, this is the best recipe. For reals. I think this just might be my favorite recipe I’ve made in my 3 years of blogging. It is so dang good. And tastes so dang not reduced calorie/fat. It is so indulgent tasting, yet, are you ready? 400 calories! This is it. This is my favorite recipe! I was taking so many bites while photographing it, I had to re-plate! I just couldn’t help myself!!
I am also, only slightly embarrassed to admit I ate all the leftovers in 3 days. The first night, I also ate seconds. Seconds. If you guys only understood., I NEVER eat a second helping of a dish. I believe in making a plate, and being done with it. Even though I always make a small plate, and tell myself, self, you can always go back for seconds. I never do, it’s just a mind trick. Well this time, I had those seconds. I probably could have had thirds. Ok no I couldn’t have because it is really filling!
Facts about this recipe
- It’s amazing!
- It is a VERY filling 400 calories! Perfect amount for both a Foodie’s Diet lunch or dinner.
- It’s delicious
- The prep is SO quick, only about 10-15 minutes of active work. Then it just bakes in the oven
- It tastes fantastic
- Can easily be made ahead of time
- It’s super tasty
- Reheats so well for leftovers
- Have I mentioned it tastes good?
- Because it tastes REALLY good.
You guys, I declare it (until next time) that this is the best recipe I’ve ever made. So next I’m going to bombard you with some pictures, give you the recipe, and let you get on your merry make-this-recipe-right-now way.
- 1 box jiffy corn muffin mix (you know the small blue one)
- 1 17.6 oz tube 0% greek yogurt
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 pound extra lean ground turkey (or chicken)
- 1 7 oz bag 2% shredded cheese- I used the mexican style, cheddar would be great as well.
- 1 Tbls chili powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper
- optional toppings: lettuce, sliced black olives, tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 350*
- Mix corn muffin mix, a large scoop, about ¼-1/3 of a cup greek yogurt and water together. Consistency should be like cake batter, add water if needed.
- Spread in the bottom of a casserole dish, I used an 9x12 oval one
- Put in oven and bake 15-20 minutes, time will change depending on the size of your dish and how thick or thin the batter. Use a toothpick to test doneness
- While corn mix is baking saute ground turkey with seasonings
- Once cooked, spread turkey mix on top of baked cornbread
- In a bowl mix cheese and remaining greek yogurt, spread in an even layer on top of ground turkey
- Return to oven and bake 30-40 minutes until golden brown.
- Let set for 5 minutes before topping with the lettuce, olives and tomatoes and before cutting into.
I cooked the turkey meat and spices in my crock pot while I was at work, so you just need to bake the cornbread mix and put everything together. Saves a bit of time and I like the way the crock pot cooks ground meat.
This recipe for Tamale Pie first appeared on A Foodie’s Diet for Me.
Join the link party!