Is this an inappropriate amount of sauce?
The other day I was perusing the internet and I saw this picture. This picture. Doesn’t it just look so good?
It was dinner time, I was huuuunnngrry! And then I see this picture. You know it’s just rude to make a picture that looks so good. And it’s deceivingly healthy, I mean there’s fish and lemons and green stuff. Ok well that’s parsley, and you don’t really eat it, but it make it look healthier some how!
So I did some googling, and found out buerre blanc sauce has 195 calories per 2 TABLESPOONS!!! And that above picture my friends is not 2 tablespoons, that’s like 3, 2 tablespoon servings. Which yup, adds up to almost 600 calories! Say WTF?!? That makes that above meal around 800 calories, with no sides, and not even a glass of wine!
Well, you know me, I had to get to work, because I need to have inappropriate amounts of this sauce, but, can not afford 800 calories! And I have to have wine.
- 1 Can Fat Free Evaporated Milk
- 2 Tablespoons Fat Free Cream Cheese
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- Juice of Half a Lemon (about 1 Tbls)
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- In a microwave safe bowl, heat cream cheese and butter until warm and really soft. About 30 seconds.
- Add a little bit of the Fat Free Evaporated milk, stir to combine.
- Gradually add more and more evaporated milk until incorporated.
- Pour mixture into a saucepan to heat
- Add lemon juice, pinch of salt and some pepper. (Purists like white pepper to not have black speck in the beautiful white sauce. Specks don’t bother me, but do what you like!)
328 calories per serving saved! That’s a glass of wine and some bread for dipping! Yippee!! Or 30 minutes you DON’T have to do on the treadmill. Whatever floats your boat!
Now, to mix things up a bit, you can make different flavor combos with this sauce. I would love to hear from you guys! What are your favorite flavor combos? Need inspiration? Here’s mine! Comment below, I’d love to hear yours!
- Lemon (extra that is!) and Dill
- Orange Zest and a Smidge of Honey. (for your reference this is the flavor I used with my salmon above mmmm)
- Blue cheese and Dried Sage
- Garlic and Chive