So I have discussed many times my love for all things Trader Joe’s and how it is my primary store for groceries. But one of the things that has always baffled me about Trader Joe’s is why they do not believe in one zucchini? Or even 2. If you want zucchini from Trader Joe’s, they only allow you to buy a crate of them. Ok that’s an exaggeration, but seriously, the packages have like 6 of them in there!
Trader Joe’s: Would you like one bell pepper?
Amy: Yes please!
Trader Joe’s: Would you like one apple?
Amy: Great! Can I have one zucchini as well?
Trader Joe’s: No! You must have 6!
Amy: Oh ok. My blog readers won’t mind two zucchini recipes two days in a row.
So here we are, another zucchini recipe! Get excited!
The great thing about this recipe? This is the LARGEST bowl of “mac” and cheese you will ever eat without feeling at all guilty!! You guys, it’s a huge bowl! When I made it, I rechecked the calorie count about 3 times because I couldn’t believe how big the portion was for such a low calorie count! Eat up, and hey, have seconds if you want!
- 2 medium zuchini or yellow squash
- ¼ cup 0% greek yogurt
- ⅓ cup cream sauce series
- 2 oz low fat cheese- I did a slice of cheddar and a slice of swiss, chopped
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dijon mustard
- 2 Tbls grated parmesan cheese
- Chop or Grate zuchini. I prefer it chopped into small ½" pieces
- Add zuchini to lightly salted boiling water
- Cook for 2-3 minutes
- In a saucepan combine cream sauce, yogurt, dijon and garlic. Heat on medium heat for a few minutes until warm and starting to simmer
- Slowly add all cheese except parmesan and stir until melted
- Drain zucchini and add to cheese sauce mixture, transfer to an oven safe bowl
- Top with parmesan cheese and broil on high for approx 1-2 minutes until top is golden brown and crispy